Friday, April 12, 2013

Bhel Puri

Bhel Puri is a savoury Indian snack, and is also a type of chaat. It is made out of puffed rice, vegetables and a tangy tamarind sauce. Bhelpuri is often identified with the beaches of Mumbai (Bombay), such as Chowpatty. But with my recipe, you won't have to go to the beach to get this yummy dish, instead bring the beach to you!

Just a heads up, there's all sorts of different ways to make Bhel Puri but I will give you my version that I like the best!

Ingredients:
  • Puffed rice (available at stores) 3 cups
  • Two boiled potatoes, peeled and chopped (optional, I hate potatoes so I skip them).
  • One large onion finely chopped
  • Half a bunch of coriander finely chopped
  • Tamarind chutney to taste
  • Mint-coriander chutney to taste
  • Sev (vermicelli-like snack made from gram flour and available at stores) 1 cup
  • Puri (available at Indian stores)
  • Raw Mango chipped fine.

Now the method itself is quite easy! All you do is mix the puffed rice, onions, and chopped mango into a large bowl. Then add tamarind chutney and mint-coriander chutney as much as you want, depends on taste, and mix again! Finally after all of that is mixed together nicely, sprinkle the sev all over...I like lots of it so I add accordingly! Also add the coriander as needed and serve with Puri! Its my favorite dish and I love that I don't need to go all the way to Mumbai if I am craving this!




No comments:

Post a Comment